| || |
Henry Fox Talbot
The Conservative Club House, London
Salted Paper Print
20.2 x 14 cm
National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
67.172.37, Schaaf no. 1215
A view of the Conservative Club at 74 St. Jamesís Street, London. The architects were George Basevi (1794-1845) and Sydney Smirke (1798-1877). Construction started in 1843 and was completed in 1845. In 1950 the Conservative Club merged with the Bath Club and became the Bath Club in name, although retaining the Conservative Club's premises until the end of the decade. The Club was finally dissolved in 1981.