| || |
Conroy & O'Connor, San Francisco
Carte de visite
Private collection of Ron Coddington
(Ron Coddington, 23 December 2020) Two Cousins Came for the Gold Rush. They Stayed for the Hardware Business.
Cousins James Constantine Conroy and John F. O'Connor left their homes and families in New York City and took their chances in the California Gold Rush. They survived the trip around Cape Horn and arrived in May 1849. According to a report, "rather than heading for the mines, they pooled their resources, bought a shipment of mining hardware, and set up shop in a large tent in the nascent city. Eventually, the company was called Conroy, O'Connor & Company."
This circa 1860s advertisement pictures goods for sale in their store and a list of merchandise on the back, including tools for all the leading professions of the time: machinists, pattern makers, carriage makers, carpenters, blacksmiths and plumbers, plus a variety of pipes, fittings and other hardware.
The cousins retired in the mid-1860s and returned to New York. Both men were dead by 1872. O'Connor's sons ran the business until they sold out in 1875. The store continued and eventually became the Dunham, Carrigan & Hayden Company. It closed its doors for good in 1967.