| || |
Alexander John Ellis
Venice, West Side of the Palazzo Ducale
1841, 21 July
National Science and Media Museum
Part of the Ellis group of daguerreotypes, Inventory no: 1890-56-V6
Landscape view of Venice, the west side of the Palazzo Ducale [or Doges Palace], seen from the Piazzo di S.Marco. On the left a part of the Basilica di San Marco, an arch, is visible. In the centre is part of one of three flag masts that stand before the Basilica. Most of the image shows the Doge's palace; the lower arcade, the gothic colonnade above and the decorative brick facade above that, pierced by arched and circular windows and the decorative central balcony.