| || |
[Girard Avenue Bridge monument]
[Centennial views of Philadelphia and Fairmount Park]
1873, 1 April (ca)
Library Company of Philadelphia
Accession number: P.9058.175
View showing the railroad bridge monument near East River Drive. The sculpted monument, composed of an ornate archway, basin, and plaque commemorates key figures in the construction of the bridge. Names inscribed on the plaque include: Clarke, Reeves, & Co. of the Phoenixville Bridge Works; Samuel L. Smedley, chief engineer and surveyor; and H.A. and J.P. Sims, architects. The bridge, built from 1872-1874, was demolished in 1971.
Publisher: Philadelphia: A.W. Fatsinger